So what do you do on a gorgeous August afternoon after you've spent months cooped up inside because of excessive heat warnings and through the roof humidity? Well you take your little monkey out to the lake to feed the ducks of course!
I've been wanting to take Nicholas out there all summer long, but with the temperatures being over 100 for days on end and the humidity smacking you in the face every time you step outside, taking a baby who HATES being hot out into the great outdoors was just not something I saw going very well. But yesterday, oh yesterday was different. It was like Mother Nature finally decided that we had had enough and gave us a little relief. It was gorgeous! The sun was shining, it was warm but not too hot and there was a nice cool breeze that was just calling us outside.
I really didn't want to miss this opportunity so I covered Nicholas in sunscreen, we grabbed some bread to feed to the ducks and hopped in the car. We had been in the car a grand total of 10 seconds when this happened...
Yep, sound asleep. Luckily, this was apparently just a little cat nap that lasted just long enough to reach our destination.
I wanted to take him to a particular spot on the lake. Right next to the sailboat harbor there was plenty of shade, it was quiet and there were always a few ducks hanging around hoping to snatch a little something off an unsuspecting sailor's boat. Well, apparently it's changed a little since the last time we were there. The sailboats were there all lined up just like last time, the shade trees were a little bit fuller and the breeze coming in off the water felt amazing, but the ducks caught me off guard. The way I remember it there were a FEW ducks lounging around the shoreline. Yesterday, there were ducks everywhere. Ducks in the water, ducks on the shore, ducks on the sailboats. It was insane.
My first thought was that Nicholas would freak out, but no, not my little man. He just stared and giggled as all of the ducks waddled by.
Every time we threw a piece of bread the ducks would come running and Nicholas would just about lose it he was laughing so hard. I guess I had nothing to worry about. After yesterday's trip I think it's pretty safe to say that he is just like his daddy. Loves the water and everything that goes along with it.
He watched every duck that passed by him and daddy
I have to say that even with as many times as I have been to that spot on the lake over the past year that we have been here, this time was completely different. Even though I have been here tons of times, this was Nicholas' first time, my first time taking him. It amazes me how much more exciting even the simplest tasks seem when you are experiencing them for the first time with your baby. I also think it's pretty safe to say that Nicholas loved his first trip to the lake and it is one we will be repeating as often as possible.


I found your blog through another blog and noticed you were from KS - I am from a small western KS town as well, Sharon Springs, where are you from?
ReplyDeleteSharon Springs is just 15 miles from the Colorado border and 30 miles south of I-70 (south of Goodland).
ReplyDelete